Illinois Insurance CE Requirements
Attention all Illinois producers please read the announcement from the Illinois Department of Insurance. Click here: http://insurance.illinois.gov/cb/2012/CB2012-02.pdf
Insurance Continuing Education Hours Required:
*Important* Effective January 1st, 2010: All resident producers who will be renewing on or after January 1, 2010 will be required to complete 24 hours of Continuing Education; three (3) of the 24 hours must consist of Classroom Ethics.
New Continuing Education Requirement to Sell Annuities in your State
Insurance Continuing Education State Specific Courses:
- Agents wishing to sell LTC must also complete a one-time 6-hour state-specific LTC requirement prior to selling LTC products. The LTC requirement counts towards the completion of the basic CE requirement.
- All Illinois licensed resident insurance producers who sell federal flood insurance policies shall be required to complete a one time 3 hour requirement on flood insurance.
Continuing Education Renewal or Compliance Date for Licensees:
- Same as license renewal date, however it is recommended that CE be completed 8 weeks earlier so that the CE provider has time to report compliance.
- License renewal date is the license issuance date biennially.
Types of Courses Accepted:
- Independent self study courses, classroom study, and online interactive courses.
- Exams DO NOT require a monitor.
Continuing Education Carryover Hours & Course Repetition
- A maximum of 12 credit hours may be carried over to the next renewal period.
A producer will not be permitted to take a course for credit more than once in a license renewal period.
- Individuals with a temporary license
- Individuals with any of the following limited licenses: baggage, limited travel health, trip cancellation, industrial life or industrial health; and insurance issued by a local mutual district, county or township insurance company.
Method to Certify Completion:
- For Most States you will be able to print your certificate of completion online once you have completed your exam.
- We usually report to the State Department of Insurance or regulatory board by the next business day.
- It may, however, take your State DOI or regulatory board up to 30 days to report your completion results on their systems.
- As an added service, we can Rapidly Report all of your completed courses the same business day (per credit order) for only $25.
Exempt. Nonresidents who wish to sell LTC are not exempt from the LTC education requirement.
Department of Insurance Contact Information:
Illinois Department of Insurance
Producer Licensing Unit
320 W. Washington St.
Springfield, IL 62767
PHONE: (217) 782-6366 or (217) 782-1019
FAX: (217) 782-6367
State Website: http://insurance.illinois.gov/
For a listing of the State Departments of Insurance websites provided by the NAIC (National Association of Insurance Commissioners),
Please go to: http://www.naic.org/state_web_map.htm
The Success Family of CE Companies provides this information as a courtesy to individuals who are subject to insurance continuing education requirements. Due to regulatory requirements we suggest that you contact your state department of insurance to insure that no regulatory changes have been enacted. Although ongoing efforts have been made to qualify that the information provided here is accurate and current, neither The Success Family of CE Companies nor its employees warrant or represent that this information is accurate and current. All information is subject to change without notice.