Indiana Insurance CE Requirements
Insurance Continuing Education Hours Required:
Indiana resident life producers renewing their licenses ON or AFTER January 01, 2014 are
required to complete 24-hours of CE.
- For Indiana resident life producers renewing
their licenses ON or AFTER June 30, 2014, 3
of the 24 CE hours must
be in ethics.
- Residents currently holding a 4 year license will need to complete at least 40 hours of CE for their four year license before renewing and obtaining a two year license.
- After July 2011, all agents will be required to complete 20 hours of CE.
- Limited Lines producers with a 2 year license ( Funeral, Crop or Hail) must complete at least 7 hours of CE during the 2 year license term.
New Continuing Education Requirement to Sell Annuities in your State
Insurance Continuing Education State Specific Courses:
Long-Term Care: Producers who sell long-term care policies must complete 8 hours of LTC education prior to selling LTC. The 8 hours may be counter as part of the required CE credits for the compliance period in which they were completed. The producer must include 5 hours of LTC CE every 2 years, for a total of 10 hours per compliance period, in their total CE requirement. If the initial training is completed in the first 2 years of the compliance period, the producer must complete 5 hours of LTC CE in the second 2 years of the compliance period.
Producers who will sell LTC policies under the Indiana Partnership for Long-Term Care Program must satisfy a one-time, 7 hour training requirement, in addition to the 8 hour pre-sale LTC training requirement.
All Property and Casualty insurance producers who sell federal flood insurance policies shall be required to complete a one time 3 hour requirement on flood insurance. The hours may be applied to the overall CE requirement.
Continue Education Renewal or Compliance Date for Licensees:
- License renewal date will be on the last day of the month two years from the date of issue or renewal of license.
- Compliance date is 30 days prior to license renewal date.
Types of Courses Accepted:
- Independent self study, classroom study, computer based training, internet courses, and seminars.
- Exams MUST BE monitored by a licensed agent.
Carryover Hours & Course Repetition
- Carryover hours are not allowed
- Credit will not be given for a course that is repeated within a 2 or 4 year licensing period.
- Producers who are at least 70 years of age and who have been continuously licensed for at least 20 years.
- Nonresidents are exempt if agent meets home state CE requirement. Non-residents are also exempt from LTC requirement, but NOT from Indiana LTC Program requirement.
- Agents who no longer solicit insurance but maintain license to collect commissions on business written while active.
- Individuals completing the one time 15 hour LTC Training will be exempt from completing the minimum 8 hours LTC for the 1st compliance period.
Method to Certify Completion:
- For Most States you will be able to print your certificate of completion online once you have completed your exam.
- We usually report to the State Department of Insurance or regulatory board by the next business day.
- It may, however, take your State DOI or regulatory board up to 30 days to report your completion results on their systems.
- As an added service, we can Rapidly Report all of your completed courses the same business day (per credit order) for only $25.
- The Licensee should keep the Original Certificate(s) of Completion for audit purposes.
Exempt if producer meets home state CE requirement and submits a PDB printout indicating resident compliance. Nonresidents also exempt from the regular long-term care requirement (but not from the Indiana Partnership Long-Term Care Program requirement). If producer does not meet home state CE requirement, producer must comply with Indiana’s CE requirement.
Department of Insurance Contact Information:
Indiana Department of Insurance
311 W. Washington St. Suite 300
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2787
PHONE: (317)232-2413 or (317) 232-5858
FAX: (317) 232-5252
State Website: http://www.state.in.us/idoi/
For a listing of the State Departments of Insurance websites provided by the NAIC (National Association of Insurance Commissioners),
Please go to: http://www.naic.org/state_web_map.htm
The Success Family of CE Companies provides this information as a courtesy to individuals who are subject to insurance continuing education requirements. Due to regulatory requirements we suggest that you contact your state department of insurance to insure that no regulatory changes have been enacted. Although ongoing efforts have been made to qualify that the information provided here is accurate and current, neither The Success Family of CE Companies nor its employees warrant or represent that this information is accurate and current. All information is subject to change without notice.